People with an Enneagram type seven personality tend to be enthusiastic, adventurous, and spontaneous in their behavior. They love seeking out new experiences. They are people-oriented and enjoy pursuing new relationships.
Enneagram 7 Personality Traits
Sevens fear being deprived or missing out on excitement. They tend to avoid schedules and concrete plans to allow for last minute opportunities. At times, they struggle with focusing on the task at hand, especially if they feel it’s preventing them from partaking in a more interesting experience.
Their most basic desire is to feel fulfilled and satisfied. They seek contentment and subconsciously hope that each new experience will allow them to feel truly, deeply, permanently happy.
Adventurers defend themselves by justifying or rationalizing away negative feelings. They tend to convince themselves that if they feel sad or hurt, it is a misunderstanding on their part.
In summary, Enneagram 7 personalities tend to...
- Prioritize enjoyment and remain optimistic
- Pursue new opportunities or experiences
- Fear missing out or being deprived
- Desire contentment and satisfaction
- Enjoy being around people
- Justify others’ actions to avoid being upset
Enneagram 7 Strengths
Every personality archetype has strengths and blind spots, and these are often amplified in professional settings where we often encounter a diverse group of people with vastly different backgrounds and value systems.
Strengths that are typically associated with the Enneagram 7 personality include...
- High levels of energy and optimism
- Thinking quickly and creatively
- Ability to see many options or solutions
- Easily handling change in plans
- Quickly acquiring new skills or abilities
Enneagram 7 Weaknessess
Weaknessess that are typically associated with the Enneagram 7 personality include...
- Difficulty committing to plans in advance
- Tendency to grow bored easily
- Being perceived as self-centered or vain
- Making impulsive or rash decisions
Enneagram 7 Growth
Growth opportunities that are typically associated with the Enneagram 7 personality include...
- Taking the time to face and work through negative emotions
- Encouraging and listening attentively to others as they share
- Finding value in what’s in front of them
- Slowing down to think and process ideas
How Enneagram 7 personalities like to work
Communicating with an Enneagram 7
Remain upbeat and optimistic when communicating with a seven; listen to and appreciate their ideas.
Meeting with an Enneagram 7
Clearly communicate what you need from them, while trying to keep meetings lighthearted.
Emailing an Enneagram 7
Include casual conversation and allow for dialogue when emailing.
Giving feedback to an Enneagram 7
While expressing honest and constructive feedback, remain supportive and encouraging.
Resolving conflict with an Enneagram 7
Help them to express difficult feelings; compromise and come up with multiple solutions.
Enneagram 7 Motivations
When people experience pain, stress, or dissatisfaction, it can usually be attributed to energy-draining activities. Therefore, it’s important to know what kinds of activities energize each personality type and which activities drain them.
Enneagram 7s tend to be motivated and energized by...
- New ideas and experiences
- Creative or trendy aesthetics
- Multiple choices or options
- Meeting and getting to know new people
- Parties, concerts, and other large gatherings
Enneagram 7 Stress
Enneagram 7s tend to be stressed and drained by...
- Schedules, rules, and limits
- Negativity from those around them
- Too much time alone
- Unnecessary and boring routine
- Lack of choice or freedom
Enneagram 7 Careers
Type Sevens tend to thrive in active environments that utilize their creative thinking and imagination. They enjoy innovative, exciting work that allows them to constantly pursue new opportunities.
Enneagram 7s feel energized at work when...
- They are constantly exploring new ideas.
- Their boss gives them new work every day.
- Their peers spend time with them outside of work.
- Their direct reports offer creative ideas.
Enneagram 7s feel drained at work when...
- They are stuck or bored in their position.
- Their boss gives them small, repetitive assignments.
- Their peers are distant and reserved.
- Their direct reports lack energy and optimism.
Enneagram 7 Jobs
Sevens are extroverted and optimistic. They love being in the world and experiencing as much as possible.
Common jobs for people with Enneagram 7 personality types
- Travel Writer
- Interior Designer
- Travel Agent
- Tour Guide
Enneagram 7 Relationships (Professional)
When type Sevens work alongside people who are more practical and consistent, they can offer exciting, innovative ways of thinking. If they work with another Seven, they will likely need to learn to be more consistent and hold themselves accountable to their work.
Enneagram 7s tend to work well with others who...
- Share their optimistic, energetic attitude
- Participate in fun, new events with them
- Appreciate their creative ideas
Enneagram 7s may hit obstacles in professional relationships when they...
- Fail to commit to long-term
- Neglect to finish certain assignments
- Become bored or limited by their work
Enneagram 7 Relationships (Romantic)
Type Sevens can be enthusiastic, fun partners, especially to those who are typically more reserved and practical. When in a relationship with another Seven, it’s important that they work together to carefully consider the consequences of their actions before making rash decisions.
In a romantic relationship, Enneagram 7s bring strengths like...
- Unfiltered enthusiasm and optimism
- Easily adapting to new, unforeseen circumstances
- Frequently encouraging their partner to try new things
In romantic relationships, Enneagram 7s may have trouble...
- Committing to one person or settling down
- Facing negative emotions or conversations
- Listening attentively to their partner
Famous Examples of Enneagram 7s
Jack Black, Stephen Colbert, Miley Cyrus, Ted Danson, Elton John, John F. Kennedy, Eddie Murphy, Conan O’Brien, Elizabeth Taylor, Dick Van Dyke, Oscar Wilde, Robin Williams, Peter Pan (fictional).
Enneagram 7 Wings
Click a link below to explore the wings for Enneagram 7
Enneagram 7 Slide Show
Click through the slides below to learn more about Enneagram 7s:
Related Personality Types
Enneagram is a personality framework that can help you understand other people and why they behave in certain ways.
Explore Enneagram types here: