People with an Enneagram type four personality tend to be creative, sensitive, and expressive in their behavior. They like to be unique and seek to find their own identity. Though they desire relationships, they may seem distant and reserved, especially in group settings.
Enneagram 4 Personality Traits
Fours’ deepest fear is that they don’t matter or have no personal impact on the world. They often feel severely misunderstood or unrelatable. Fours tend to work to be unique in order to distinguish themselves from others.
They desire their own identity and self-expression. They have an innate need to authentic, but may struggle along the way to discovering their individuality. Fours may feel misunderstood if others fail to recognize their distinctiveness.
Creatives tend to defend themselves by unintentionally adapting characteristics from friends, in order to appear more genuine.
In summary, Enneagram 4 personalities tend to...
- Seek their own identity separate from others
- Want to leave a lasting impression on the world
- Fear having no significance
- Be creative, artistic, and expressive
- Seem reserved or withdrawn in large groups
Enneagram 4 Strengths
Every personality archetype has strengths and blind spots, and these are often amplified in professional settings where we often encounter a diverse group of people with vastly different backgrounds and value systems.
Strengths that are typically associated with the Enneagram 4 personality include...
- Ability to connect deeply with their own emotions
- Sensitivity to and understanding of others’ feelings
- General awareness of their own growth areas
- Imaginative and creative deep-thinking
- Being consistently and authentically themselves
Enneagram 4 Weaknessess
Weaknessess that are typically associated with the Enneagram 4 personality include...
- Withdrawing in times of difficulty
- Fixating on what they don’t have
- Tendency to focus too much on themselves
- Reacting strongly and emotionally to hardship
Enneagram 4 Growth
Growth opportunities that are typically associated with the Enneagram 4 personality include...
- Recognizing and redirecting self-centered motivations
- Taking some time to reflect on the positive aspects of life
- Developing breathing exercises to help process overwhelming situations
- Understanding that other people can help them work through problems
How Enneagram 4 personalities like to work
Communicating with an Enneagram 4
Avoid being overly logical and focus on sharing your feelings; appreciate their connection with their emotions.
Meeting with an Enneagram 4
Be optimistic and encouraging, inviting fours to be themselves and share their voice.
Emailing an Enneagram 4
Keep emails to a minimum, avoiding chit-chat and making an effort to be authentic or expressive.
Giving feedback to an Enneagram 4
Be sensitive with feedback; share encouragements and frame negative feedback as an opportunity for growth.
Resolving conflict with an Enneagram 4
Openly share your feelings and connect with a type four emotionally; empathize without trying to agree completely, which allows them personal autonomy and individuality.
Enneagram 4 Motivations
When people experience pain, stress, or dissatisfaction, it can usually be attributed to energy-draining activities. Therefore, it’s important to know what kinds of activities energize each personality type and which activities drain them.
Enneagram 4s tend to be motivated and energized by...
- Building connections and relationships with others
- Taking personal time to reconnect with themselves
- Expressing their emotions through a form of art
- Feeling valued and accepted for who they are
Enneagram 4 Stress
Enneagram 4s tend to be stressed and drained by...
- Casual or meaningless conversation
- Parties and large groups of unfamiliar people
- Lack of personal creativity
- Being interrupted or facing an argument
Enneagram 4 Careers
Type Fours tend to thrive in environments that allow them to remain autonomous and be authentically themselves. They enjoy creatively expressing themselves and building relationships with coworkers.
Enneagram 4s feel energized at work when...
- They are asked to express how they’re feeling
- Their boss takes the time to get to know them
- Their peers are attentive, genuine, and open-minded
- Their direct reports understand their vision
Enneagram 4s feel drained at work when...
- They lack the opportunity to be creative
- Their boss criticizes their work
- Their peers are critical and distant
- Their direct reports don’t take them seriously
Enneagram 4 Jobs
Fours are emotionally expressive, creative thinkers. They are genuine and insightful, challenging those around them to connect more deeply with themselves.
Common jobs for people with Enneagram 4 personality types
- Personal Trainer
- Dance Instructor
- Hair Stylist
Enneagram 4 Relationships (Professional)
When type Fours work alongside people who are logical and even-tempered, they can help inspire creative solutions. If they work with another Four, they should each focus on connecting through their creative passions.
Enneagram 4s tend to work well with others who...
- Ask them questions about themselves
- Acknowledge and affirm their individuality
- Appreciate their creativity and self-expression
Enneagram 4s may hit obstacles in professional relationships when they...
- React strongly to critical feedback
- Distance themselves in times of stress
- Focus too much of their attention on themselves
Enneagram 4 Relationships (Romantic)
Type Fours can be romantic, emotional partners when with someone who works to connect with them on a deeper level and keep open lines of communication. Fours should be careful not to idealize or set impossible expectations for their partners.
In a romantic relationship, Enneagram 4s bring strengths like...
- Focus and attention toward relationship
- Being more inclined to share emotions openly
- Recognizing the ways in which they need to grow
In romantic relationships, Enneagram 4s may have trouble...
- Accepting realistic expectations of a relationship
- Maintaining a consistent, balanced mood
- Separating their emotions from an argument or disagreement
Famous Examples of Enneagram 4s
Anne Frank, Vincent Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, Thomas Merton, Georgia O’Keefe, Sylvia Plath, Edgar Allen Poe, Sufjan Stevens, Gene Wilder, Amy Winehouse, Kate Winslet.4
Enneagram 4 Wings
Click a link below to explore the wings for Enneagram 4
Enneagram 4 Slide Show
Click through the slides below to learn more about Enneagram 4s:
Related Personality Types
Enneagram is a personality framework that can help you understand other people and why they behave in certain ways.
Explore Enneagram types here: